How does America spend more money per capita on health care than any other nation in the world and still not even cover everyone? In part because we rely on an incredibly wasteful health insurance industry to deliver our care. Our enormous national wealth, which could guarantee quality medical care for every American, is instead wasted maintaining an inefficient and immoral system.
Where are our health care dollars going?
- Health insurance company profits. (I'm having a very hard time finding estimates of total profit margins for the industry as a whole. Tell me if you know where to look.)
- Health insurance company executive salaries.
- Duplicative administrative costs throughout the industry... which is enough money to cover all uninsured.
- Health insurance company advertising.
- Political donations and lobbying against a system that puts people before profits.
- Blimps 'n stuff!