Monday, December 28, 2009

BTM Back in Action

I just got back to DC last night after a nice, long Christmas vacation visiting family down South. Often, when I travel back to my hometown, I come away with some new perspective on the place. This time around, I didn't really have any profound realizations. I just noticed the huge number of people standing on street corners all over town holding signs. The people generally fell into one of two (related) groups: homeless people and others with "Need Help" signs, or people advertising going-out-of-business sales. There were lots of them. Sometimes there were three people at one intersection asking for money, standing next to two people advertising for a sinking company. I, like everybody else, was speeding past all of them to do some last-minute Christmas shopping.

There's a point there to be made about our nation's social priorities, but it's late, and we don't need to jump in right away, do we?

There is a lot to talk about this week. I've spent a lot of time this evening reading about the growing revolution in Iran and watching the unbelievable videos coming from the streets of Tehran. (Andrew Sullivan has great coverage.) Meanwhile, some are already making the case for an American invasion of Yemen. And Congressional Republicans continue to oppose any system that would provide medical coverage to more Americans.

You can't make this stuff up. Stay tuned for more.

No comments: